Follow our step-by-step guide below to ensure a smooth and hassle-free check-in. Most airline check-in counters open at least 2 hours before your flight, and some also offer early and online check-in. We encourage you to check-in at least 2 hours before your departure time.
Ensure that your check-in goes smoothly:
1. Pack all your luggage, including your Hand-Carried Luggage, according to security guidelines.
2. When you arrive at the airport, refer to the Flight Information Display Screens for your airline's check-in row information.
3. Approach the check-in counter with your travel documents (valid passport, air ticket or booking confirmation, and visa if applicable).
4. Check that you are issued with the correct boarding passes and that your travel documents are in order before leaving the check-in counter.
5. Enter the Departure Hall and enjoy Changi's great transit facilities like dining and shopping!
Remember to get to your boarding gate early for security checks! Please note that no boarding calls will be made.
As check-in operations and requirements vary by airline, do check with your airline representative or the ground handling agent for more information. For more details, visit our Airlines page.
With iShopChangi, you can indulge in tax and Duty Free shopping across all our terminals before you step into Changi - as long as you are departing or transiting here.
Start shopping today:
- Shop online at www.iShopChangi.com from 2 weeks up to 24 hours before your flight departure.
- Collect your purchase from the Collection Centre at the transit lounge of your departure terminal at least 60 minutes before departure. Don't forget to present your collection slip, passport and boarding pass.
- Fly to your next destination!
If you are a Changi Rewards member, you can earn Changi Rewards points with your iShopChangi purchases.
Subscribe to the iShopChangi eNewsletter to stay updated with our latest promotions.
Stay connected with your family and friends wherever you go without worrying about expensive data roaming costs. Enjoy convenient and secure international mobile broadband for all your smart devices from as low as SGD12/day.
Simply rent an overseas WiFi router by making a reservation at Changi Recommends or visit the Changi Recommends booth (Departure Hall, Changi Airport Terminal 2).
Visit the DHL Express Service Point located at the Changi Recommends Booth (Departure Hall, Terminal 2) and enjoy the convenience, speed and security of sending your excess baggage and gifts overseas.
We deliver packages of all shapes, sizes and weights to more than 220 countries and territories worldwide, with next day delivery to major cities in Asia Pacific (including Hong Kong, Tokyo and Bangkok) at attractive rates.
With DHL’s track and trace capabilities, you’ll be also able to track your delivery via the internet or your mobile phone.
We'd encourage you to check-in at least 2 hours before your departure time. Most airline check-in counters open at least 2 hours before your flight. Some airlines also offer Early and Online Check-in. As check-in operations and requirements vary by airline, do check with your airline representative or the ground handling agent for more information.
You may also use Phone, Fax, Website, E-Mail, SMS and WAP-based "Off-Airport" check-in options provided by numerous airlines at Changi. With this, you can confirm your flights and choose your seats at your convenience, prior to arriving at Changi. Upon your arrival, you only need to collect your boarding pass and deposit your hold baggage. Passengers who have checked-in Off-Airport may choose to arrive at the Departure Hall 1 hour before flight departure (or 45 minutes before departure, should they have no hold baggage). Please contact your airline for more information. Do check-in early and enjoy the many facilities, services, and shopping and dining options available.
Yes, you may check-in at the counter with just your passport.
However, you are encouraged to print out the ticket receipt for reference.
For security reasons, all passengers need to personally check themselves in.
For departures from Terminal 1, please use T1 Car Park. For departures from Terminal 2, please use Terminal 2 Car Park or South Car Park. For departures from Terminal 3, please use Terminal 3 Car Park.
Boarding gates are open at least 1 hour before flight departure.
Please be at your boarding gate no later than 30 mins before flight departure.
You are advised to contact airline staff to make alternate flight arrangements.
Economy class passengers are allowed one piece of hand-carry luggage weighing up to 7kg (16lbs).
This bag's total length, width and height must measure no more than 115cm (46").
Most economy class passengers are permitted to check-in up to 20kg of luggage.
(Do check with your airline as the luggage allowance may differ by destination and type of ticket held.)
For luggage in excess of the allowed weight, you may choose to either pay an excess baggage charge or air freight
it to your destination as unaccompanied luggage.
Excess baggage rates differ by airline and destination. Please contact your airline for its rate.
Generally, you must not take on board:
- Firearms (E.g. replicas or toys)
- Explosives (E.g. fireworks, flares or toy gun caps)
- Gases (E.g. compressed gas cylinders, tear gas, mace, pepper sprays or household aerosols)
- Flammable materials (E.g. petrol, lighter fuel, paint, thinners, non-safety matches, fire lighters or flammable glue)
- Poisons (E.g. weed killers, pesticides or insecticides)
- Corrosive substances (E.g. batteries, mercury or drain cleaners)
- Other dangerous goods (E.g. magnetised or radioactive material, or toxic or infectious substances like laboratory diagnostic samples)
At Terminals 1, 2 and 3, security screening is conducted at the boarding gates.
At Terminal 4, the security screening is conducted after Departure Immigration.
You are required to undergo security screening and have your hand-carried luggage x-rayed.
Follow the steps below for a hassle-free experience:
1. Prepare your passport and boarding pass for inspection at the gate.
2. Remove your liquids, aerosols and gels from the bag and place them separately in the tray.
3. Place your electronic (e.g. laptops, mobile phones, tablets) and metallic items (e.g.keys, coins) in a separate tray. At Terminal 4, you can keep the items in your bag.
4. Remove your outer wear (e.g. jacket, sweater, coat), hat and high-cut footwear.
5. Place your hand-carried luggage onto the conveyor belt.
6. Proceed through the walkthrough metal detectors or body scanners. Please note that you may be subject to an enhanced security screening process, if required.
There are international safety measures to protect you and your loved ones when travelling.
It is an offence if you fail to comply with these measures, as the safety of all passengers on board the aircraft could be endangered.
Generally, you must not take on board:
Firearms of any kind including replicas and toys. More
Pointed/edged weapons or sharp objects. More
Blunt Objects (E.g bats, skateboards and paddles). More
Chemical and toxic substances, and dangerous goods. More
Corrosive substances (E.g. batteries, mercury or drain cleaners)
- Hydrocarbon gas-powered hair curlers are limited to one per person.
The safety cover must be securely fitted at all times over the heating element.
Separate gas refills for such curlers are not permitted.
- Safety matches or lighters are permitted only when carried on the person.
The lighter can contain only absorbed liquid or liquefied gas fuel. Refills are not permitted.
- Battery-powered wheelchairs are permissible as checked luggage only.
However, do contact your airline in advance to check whether special conditions apply.
- Guidelines apply to Liquids, Aerosols and Gels in hand-carried luggage.
If in doubt, please ask your airline staff for advice before your flight.
On 8 May 2007, Singapore implemented guidelines that restrict the amount of liquids, aerosols and gels (LAGs) that passengers can carry in their hand-carried luggage. LAGs that do not meet the guidelines must be checked-in.
Guidelines on LAGs
These apply to all flights departing from Singapore.
LAGs must be in containers with a maximum capacity not more than 100ml each. LAGs in containers larger than 100ml will not be accepted, even if the containers are partially-filled.
Place the containers (not exceeding 1-litre in total) in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag which must be completely closed.
Only one transparent re-sealable plastic bag per passenger is allowed. The bag must be presented separately for examination at the security screening point.
All LAGs that do not meet the above requirements must be disposed of before the security screening point.
Exemptions can be made for baby food provided that an infant is travelling with you. Exemptions can also be made for special dietary items and medication accompanied with an original letter from certified medical practitioners. These items may be subjected to additional checks at the security screening point.
1. Drinks (E.g. water or juices)
2. Soups and sauces
3. Perfumes and deodorants (liquid or liquid-solid mixture)
4. Creams, balms, lotions and oils
5. Cosmetics (E.g. mascara or lip gloss)
6. Pastes (E.g. toothpaste)
7. Pressurised foams and sprays (E.g. shaving foam, hairspray or spray deodorants)
8. Gels (E.g. hair or shower gels)
9. Contact lens solution
10. Canned food with liquid content
11. Any other items of similar consistency
Shopping within Public Areas
If you have purchased LAGs from shops within Changi's Public Areas, please place the items into their check-in luggage prior to checking-in for your flight.
If they do not exceed a maximum capacity of 100ml per container, you may hand-carry them in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed.
Shopping within Departure Transit Lounges
You can continue to purchase LAGs, such as liquor, wine, beer, perfumes and cosmetics, at shops located within Changi Airport's Departure Transit Lounges.
Such purchases will be placed in sealed tamper-evident bags provided by the shops, with the receipt clearly displayed in the sealed bags.
If your items are in containers with a maximum capacity of not more than 100ml each, you may choose to hand-carry them in the 1-litre transparent re-sealable plastic bag, which must be completely closed.
If you are transferring or transiting at other airports, please check the restrictions applicable at those airports.
Do check with Changi Airport shop staff for details.
If you are travelling to Australia, the US or on Delta Airlines or United Airlines, you are strongly encouraged to check with your respective airlines if you are eligible to purchase LAGs (liquor, perfumes and cosmetics only) in Changi or refer to this guide. If eligible, you must make your purchase at least 90 minutes prior to the departure time. For all other passengers, there is no cut-off time limit for the purchase of LAGs in Changi Airport prior to the departure time.
Immigration & customs
The Automated Immigration Gates (AIGs), which integrates the enhanced Immigration Automated Clearance System (eIACS), offer a secure and faster option for immigration clearance. Using biometric technology, it retrieves data from your machine readable passport to authenticate your identity.
- Travellers whose fingerprints have been registered on arrival with Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) of Singapore
- Singapore Citizens, Singapore Permanent Residents & Long Term Pass holders above the age of 6 whose fingerprints have been registered with ICA
- Work pass holders (i.e. Work Permit, S-Pass, Employment Pass and Dependent Pass) whose fingerprints have been registered with MOM
- Singapore minor citizens
- who have yet to register for their NRIC and do not hold Biometric Passports
- who have yet to register for their NRIC and did not register their fingerprints with ICA during application for the Singapore biometric passport
- who have yet to register for their NRIC and do not hold Biometric Passports
- Singapore Permanent Residents who have yet to register for their NRIC
- Singapore Immigration Long Term Pass holders who did not register their fingerprints with ICA during the issuance of the pass
- Malaysian Citizens who are assessed to be eligible under the frequent travellers scheme upon application
- Visitors holding a HKSAR passport:
- with validity of more than 6 months
- Aged 11 and above. The parent or legal guardian of applicants who are below the age of 18 are required to be present during application. The original copy of the applicant's birth certificate and the passport of the accompanying parent or legal guardian should also be provided for verification of identity. In the event that the applicant is accompanied by a legal guardian, the original copy of the legal authorisation letter or court order must also be furnished.
- Visited Singapore at least three (3) times in last twelve (12) consecutive months
- with validity of more than 6 months
- Current fingerprint scanning technology cannot accurately read the fingerprint from excessively wet or dry fingers.
If the current registration system identifies your finger as being 'wet' or 'dry', your application cannot be processed.
- Applicants falling under Groups (3) – (6) must be holding ICAO-compliant passports in order to apply
- Applicants falling under Groups (1) – (5) must be 6 years old and above
- All applications for eIACS enrolment are subject to ICA’s discretion in acceptance
Eligible persons are to apply with the required documents listed below.
Enrolment is free of charge and no application form is required.
- Valid passport with validity of no less than 6 months
- One recent colour passport-sized photograph which meets the following requirements:
- 35 mm wide by 45 mm high without border and taken within the last 3 months
- Taken full face without headgear, unless the applicant habitually wears a headgear in accordance with religious or racial customs. The headgear must not hide the applicant's facial features
- The facial image must be between 25 mm and 35 mm from chin to crown
- Taken against plain white background with a matt or semi-matt finish
- Work Permit, if applicable
With the required documents, eligible persons are to apply in person at any of the locations below.
eIACS Enrolment Centre
Terminal 3 Departure Immigration Hall, Level 2 (for passengers within the transit area only)
Weekdays: 8.00am to 5.00pm
Closed on weekends and public holidays
ICA Building (next to Lavender MRT Station)
eIACS Enrolment Centre
10 Kallang Road, level 4
Weekdays: 8.00am - 5.00pm
Saturday: 8.00am - 1.00pm
Closed on Sun and public holidays
(Enrolment at the eIACS Enrolment Centre in ICA Building is strictly by eAppointment only.
Interested applicants can visit the ICA website at www.ica.gov.sg to book an appointment).
When you buy goods in Singapore, you are required to pay GST on your purchases if the retailer is registered for GST.
The Tourist Refund Scheme (TRS) allows you to claim a refund of the GST that you paid on goods purchased from the participating retailers if they are brought out of Singapore via Changi International Airport or Seletar Airport, subject to the criteria and conditions of the scheme.
As of 19 August 2012, the eTRS has fully replaced the paper refund form system. So you no longer need to fill up different refund forms issued by different retailers. The current eligibility conditions for tourist refund still apply.
While you may use any credit/debit card or cash for your purchases, choosing just one credit/debit card to be used as an eTRS Token makes claiming your refund later easier. The eTRS token links all your purchases entitled for refund and you can retrieve all your purchases at one go at the eTRS self-help kiosk at the airport.
At any point of purchase, the retailer will issue you an eTRS Ticket. So even if you do not use a credit/debit card as an eTRS Token, you will still be able to use the Tickets to apply for your refund claims at the airport. Don’t forget to collect your original receipt/invoice and eTRS Ticket before leaving the shop.
As eTRS is a voluntary scheme, not all retailers in Singapore operate the scheme.
GST-registered retailers may choose to operate the scheme on their own or engage the service of a Central Refund Agency.
There are currently 3 Central Refund Agencies in Singapore:
Global Blue Singapore Pte Ltd
Global BlueRetailers affiliated with this agency display a "Global Blue" sign in their shops.
Premier Tax Free & Fintrax Payments (Asia) Pte Ltd
Tax FreeRetailers affiliated with this agency display a "Premier Tax Free" sign in their shops.
Global Tax Free Pte Ltd
Global Tax FreeRetailers affiliated with this agency display a "Global Tax Free" sign in their shops.
Retailers who operate the scheme on their own usually display signs that indicate "Tax Refund" in their shops. However, it is best that you check with the retailers if they are operating the scheme.
The actual amount refunded may be lesser than the GST you have paid as a handling fee for the refund service will be deducted by the retailer, Central Refund Agency or operator of Central Refund Counter. Details of the charges will be reflected in the refund cheques or eTRS Tickets issued to the tourists.
Do arrive at the airport early to allow sufficient time for your GST refund to be processed and goods to be inspected, if necessary. You are required to seek endorsement at the Customs Inspection Counter in the terminal where you will be checking in your goods or where your flight will be departing from. You must also depart with the goods on a flight within 12 hours after obtaining approval of your GST refund.
For check-in items:
Prior to checking-in the goods, please proceed to the eTRS self-help kiosk at the Departure Check-in Hall (before Departure Immigration) to apply for GST Refund.
For hand-carry items:
Please proceed to the eTRS self-help kiosk at Departure Transit Lounge (after Departure Immigration) to apply for GST Refund.
Purchases with eTRS Tickets: Proceed to the eTRS self-help kiosk to apply for your GST refund.
At the kiosk, you will be asked to:
- Swipe your passport.
- Declare your eligibility and acceptance of the TRS conditions.
- Swipe your Token or scan the barcode of the Ticket to retrieve and verify your purchase details which you wish to claim a refund on.
- Select your refund options. For credit card refund, the approved refund amount will be credited to the specified credit card. For cash refund, you can proceed to the Central Refund Counter (CRC) in the Departure Transit Lounge (after Departure Immigration) to collect your cash.
- Once you have completed the steps above, you will receive a Notification Slip showing the status of your refund issued by the kiosk. If "Not Approved" is indicated on the Slip, please proceed to the Customs Inspection Counter for the physical inspection of the goods. Please present the goods, together with the original invoice or receipt, your boarding pass or confirmed air ticket, eTRS Tickets and Notification Slip to the Customs Inspection Counter for endorsement.
For more details on the conditions and refund procedures, please visit the following websites:
For further details on GST refund, please click here
A traveller who enters or leaves Singapore is required to give a report if he carries with him an amount exceeding SGD 20,000 (or its equivalent in a foreign currency). The report shall be handed over to the Immigration Officer at the Customs Red Channel on arrival in Singapore and at the Immigration Counter on departure from Singapore. The form "Physical Currency and Bearer Negotiable Instruments Report (Traveller)", which is available in English, Chinese, Malay and Japanese, can be obtained from the Immigration card counter, police post(s) and the airlines. Do approach any Immigration Officer for assistance to complete the report.
You may wish to visit the Singapore Police Force website for more information as the law also covers receipt from outside Singapore as well as movement through cargo, post and other means. Please note that this is NOT a currency control regime. There is no restriction on the type or amount that can be moved into or out of Singapore as long as a report is given.
Fast and Seamless Travel (FAST)
Fast and Seamless Travel (FAST) is a suite of self-service options for departing passengers.
Click here to learn more about how FAST can make your departing experience a breeze!